Re: Questions for all candidates: role models

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:58:14PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Questions for all candidates:
>
> If elected, you will be the ninth Project Leader in Debian's history.  Of
> the preceding eight DPLs, which one do you admire most as a leader and why?

Well, I don't know much about the four first ones, the first one I
really saw in action being Ben Collins. Given that, I most admire
Martin Michlmayr. As a leader, Martin has promoted an amazing number of
organizational changes in Debian, but something I especially admire is
that Martin managed to keep the Debian climate sane by always providing
kind answers to enquiries so people knew problems were worked and not
ignored.

I certainly have a lot of admiration for the first leaders that founded
Debian, devised the constitution, set up the infrastructure, etc. We are
obviously in debt of them for creating Debian as we know it. But I
did not see them in action, so they cannot be a role model for me.

> Candidate platforms always tend to focus on what's wrong with the project;
> this is somewhat natural, since if you don't believe anything's wrong,
> you're not likely to go to the trouble.  My question is:  what will you do
> to inspire your fellow developers to greatness in the year to come?

I will work for integrating more projects inside Debian, induce more
developers to work on distributions-wide tasks and provide resources
to them, reduce artificial barrier from contributing, e.g. by setting
contact point where developers are not shy of applying.

I will ensure all the Debian-specific projects, whoses make Debian a
unique distribution, are actively maintained and developped. In the past
projects have tended to be developped serially instead of in parallel,
some project having momentum while some others go unmaintained. Having
all Debian-specific projects actively developed would allow Debian to
reach new heights.

Working in parallel best fit Debian developement process, that is why we
can support more than 15000 packages. We need to use that to our
advantage by splitting tasks between people with different set of
skills.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.