Re: questions for all candidates

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 02:01:58AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The campaign period is open according to
> <http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_002>, so here are two questions for all
> of the candidates.
> 1. The past two years have seen higher numbers of candidates standing for DPL
>    than in the past.  While our voting system has no problem scaling to seven
>    candidates, comments I've heard from a number of developers suggest that
>    a high number of candidates makes it more difficult for voters to
>    navigate the ballot and cast informed votes.  I'm sure when platforms are
>    posted you'll tell us why each of you believes that you personally should
>    run, but what do you think about having seven candidates in this
>    election?  Is it a healthy thing that we have so many developers willing
>    to sit in the hot seat, or is it a sign of fragmentation in the project
>    and a lack of strong leadership?

It's healthy to have good choices in any election. It might also be a
sign that now more people are unhappy with certain areas in Debian, and
therefore, more people are willing to run to attempt to work on these.
Reading the platforms, I don't see so much fragmentation, the theme's
most candidates want to address are similar.

I do think the amount of candidates comes forth in part from unhappiness
with the current leadership/candidates, like Bill Allombert wrote
explicitely in his platform. I think the result last year showed that
people want now some stronger leadership. I intend to provide that by
both having a team of good people assisting in making hard decisions
when that's needed, and at the same time, retaining ultimate
responability myself to do whatever I deem needed even if the DPL team
turns out to under-perform. The ultimate decision what I will do will
remain with myself.

> 2. If you are elected, do you currently think you would be interested in
>    running for re-election next year?  Why or why not?

Yes, but with some caveats. If things are going according to plan, I
will be finishing off my studies during the 2007-2008 term. I do not
want to be a DPL if I cannot commit the time to perform the tasks I'd be
elected for, I take an elected office seriously. I hope one or more of
the new DPL team people will turn out to be good candidates, and if so,
can continue my work. I'll be definitely serving in a DPL team then to
provide advice from my experience, and work on issues I can find the
time for, provided I'm invited of course.

If I feel I can commit the time or if I feel I have still some itch to
scratch that I don't feel other candidates will scratch, I will surely
run again. Having had the feeling of what is involved for a year, I
think I already now can say that I won't just give up and drop out.

Jeroen van Wolffelaar