Andreas Schuldei <andreas@debian.org> wrote:

> With this mail I nominate myself as a candidate for the office of
> Debian Project Leader for the term of 2006-07.

(Campaigning period doesn't start until Sunday, but I'm travelling for
the next few days. Feel free to answer after campaigning starts, if you
think that would be appropriate)

Last year, your platform included several elements. I've some questions
about them, and how well you were able to carry them out in your role as
a member of the DPL team.

* promoting lots of small teams all over the project, in which people
work together, communicate and help and even integrate and train NMs

How many new small teams have been generated during your time on the DPL
team, and how many have been due to the involvement of the DPL team or
you personally? How would being DPL be helpful here?

* having a more friendly and helpful environment on mailing lists and
IRC channels

During your time on the DPL team, what steps were taken to encourage
this? Are the mailing lists and IRC channels a more friendly and helpful
environment than they were 12 months ago? How would being DPL be helpful
here?

* making people aware of their leadership role in the project and
encouraging them to accept it more consciously and confidently

Do you feel that respect for the Debian leadership has improved in the
past year, and what have you done to help that? Things to note in this
respect may include the commitment for the DPL team to provide public
minutes and meet on a regular basis, both of which were dropped without
bothering to notify the developers.

* having more frequent and regular releases

During your time on the DPL team, what did you do to ensure this? What
has changed in Debian to allow this to happen? How would electing you as
DPL result in more frequent and regular releases?

* having more frequent real-life meetings3 like DebConfs, bug-squashing
parties or development/hack meetings (like the debian-installer team
does in Oldenburg or the Debian-Edu team does in Oslo)

Several real-life meetings took place this year, so it appears that you
were able to organise them adequately without being DPL. How would being
DPL allow you to improve things?

And on a more basic note:

Last year, Anthony Towns beat you quite convincingly. He's been doing a
great deal of visible work recently, whereas most of what you've been
doing hasn't been publically visible. The DPL team has failed to live up
to several of its claims. Why do you believe that you stand a chance of
winning this year?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org