Re: DFSG4 and combined works

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 21:54:04 +0200, Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> said:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:07:00AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>>
> The Emacs Manual requires rather more than one additional sheet of
>> paper.  If a small footnote could handle it, that would be fine.

> You can not include the whole text of GPL in a footnote either, not to
> mention that you are not allowed to include the text of GPL anywhere
> in the document.  You have to distribute it printed separately.

You are allowed to *accompany* your document with the license.  But an
invariant section must be *part of* the document.  The DFSG does not
allow for separation of the rest of the document from the invariant
sections, as a separate document, while e.g. the GPL only requires you
to accompany your binary/source distribution with the license (in
include in your binary/source a short notice that says that the work is
distributed under the GPL).

In the case of a reference card (as I understand the DFSG), you would
not be allowed to just distribute the card, with a separate sheet of
paper that includes the invariants.  You would have to distribute the
reference card as a booklet that includes the invariant sections, and
make the card a tear-out section if you want it to be usable as just a
card.  (And then, of course, you would not be allowed to just give the
card away, without the rest of the booklet.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA