Re: Question for candidate Robinson

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:46:39PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > Why do you think that you would get no warning? It's not like
> Because the first mention i got of the problem was when some debian-legal
> following idiot send me a bug report that my package was non-free, [...]

If you refer to bug 227159, I wouldn't call them an idiot, but
maybe they did send the bug report too early or not include
enough detail.  It was a bug to you, not a bug to ftpmaster.
I don't think removal could have happened "without warning"
could it?

I think you could have tagged the report you got moreinfo and
tested whether debian-legal had reached consensus, or sought
an understanding you were happy with. Instead, you started
throwing around "ridicoulous" and requiring official
statements.

> > I know it's easier to close down small debates early, but your
> > tactics in the QPL discussions were disgusting and only helped
> Because i was disgusted. And the first set of of response to me posting there
> were about those bogus pseudo-tests and not rooted in the DFSG, and without
> any hope of reasonable discussion.

You got disgusted by someone reporting a bug against your
package and think that permits those tactics? That's scary.

> > [...] This is partly a
> > problem with debian-legal documentation, but some of the stuff
> > you do is listed as "don't do this" in the list code of conduct.
> So, reaching dubious consensus without even informing the maintainer of
> possible affected packages, on top of that using arguments based on the
> library/qt case that clearly don't apply to my case, is the right thing to do ?

Do all maintainers using a licence want to know every time it is
discussed? GPL was questioned again today. Should we email all
GPL-using maintainers? Clearly not. There's some middle line to
take. Maybe it's not always done the best way, but it's not simple.

If debian-legal gets it wrong, describe that bug. It should be
unacceptable to take a bug as an excuse to abuse people.

--
MJR/slef
Subscribed to this list. No need to Cc, thanks.