Re: Question for candidate Robinson

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:46:39PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > He, i can inform you that in our "small team" as Andreas would say, for which
> > i came to post 300+ mails to -legal in order to not get our 50+ packages moved
> > to non-free without warning over a couple of dissident or other bogus tests,
> > there is a big concensus that -legal is not thrustable and no real help in
> > DFSG freeness.
>
> Why do you think that you would get no warning? It's not like

Because the first mention i got of the problem was when some debian-legal
following idiot send me a bug report that my package was non-free, that
debian-legal reached consensus, and that i should please either move it to
non-free or force the upstream author to relicence it. This took me out of
years of blissful ignorance of debian-legal into the thick of the action, and
very negatively colored debian-legal's relevance.

> I know it's easier to close down small debates early, but your
> tactics in the QPL discussions were disgusting and only helped

Because i was disgusted. And the first set of of response to me posting there
were about those bogus pseudo-tests and not rooted in the DFSG, and without
any hope of reasonable discussion.

> it to mushroom confusingly, in my opinion. This is partly a
> problem with debian-legal documentation, but some of the stuff
> you do is listed as "don't do this" in the list code of conduct.

So, reaching dubious consensus without even informing the maintainer of
possible affected packages, on top of that using arguments based on the
library/qt case that clearly don't apply to my case, is the right thing to do ?

> > My own experience shows that this is something shared by a not
> > so small part of the DDs, and i told you so on -legal back then too.
>
> Sorry, I've lost the reference and I can't find it in your large
> volume of mails.

:)

> [...]
> > Many DDs only want to package their package in peace, and not get dragged info
> > a many-thousand -legal flamewar over imagined DFSG non-compliance and bogus
> > tests.
>
> Who "dragged" you into it? I thought you brought some fuel.

The same idiot i mentioned above.

Friendly,

Sven Luther