Re: Question for candidate Towns [Was, Re: DPL election IRC Debate - Call for questions]

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:12:03AM -0800, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >>It's hard to take this sort of discussion as anything but an attack on
> >>ftpmaster, since there are plenty of teams in Debian that're even less
> >>transparent and effective than us. But given how these sorts of
> >But they are less a hindrance to the daily work of maintainers, and can
> >thus
> >more easily be avoided/worked around/whatever.
>
> If you think ftpmaster is a hindrance to your daily work, it's trivial
> to avoid it -- upload to your own site instead, or to people.debian.org.

And hack debian-installer to by default get powerpc kernels out of a personal
archive ? I almost did that when NEW processing disintegrated two years ago
during the compromise, but i don't think this is compatible with the
release-management work surrounding the d-i.

As a result of 1 and a half month waiting in processing the
kernel-latest-powerpc metapackage for example, we will not have support for it
in d-i rc3, for example, and thus future upgrades of kernels installed with it
will be problematic.

> Given I personally worked around the lack of ftpmaster support for pools
> for a good six to twelve months while developing testing, I think I've
> got a reasonable basis for thinking this isn't such a big deal.

It depends on what you want to do, if you just want to do your own stuff in
your corner, well, it is possible, or if you do an experiment like you did,
but if your packages aim to be part of the of the release, having it outside
the archive is not helping.

And we will soon upload 2.6.11 kernels, which will mean handling of N+1 NEW
packages, where N is the number of architectures supporting the 2.6 kernels.
This could easily enough be automated, and i don't think the NEW reporting to
the US agencies needs to go done to the level of renamed binary packages or
new versions of basically the same thing.

Friendly,

Sven Luther