Re: Exclusion, was: Clarification about krooger's platform

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:48:50AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

 > Is that 65% for the d-i in the next release, or d-i current? That
 > still leaves a third excluded and d-i is *much* better than most, far
 > more widely translated more than most of debian. There's a lot of
 > other things to improve too.

 Without trying to downplay d-i's effort, my experience watching other
 users is that it is _extremely_ frustrating to have a program
 translated 90%.  It takes only one question in a foreign language for
 the user to go "uh?".  It is even _more_ frustrating to have all the
 installation routine happen in your native language only to be
 confronted by a mixture of English and your language once you actually
 begin using the system.

 What I'm trying to say in short is that, yes, the problem you pinpoint
 is very real beyond d-i, affects users on a daily basis and yes, I do
 think it is more important than gender neutrality issues within the
 project.  I'm _not_ saying that gender issues are not important.

 > Which brings me back to the question: why should a DPL focus on
 > sexism more than language or other barriers to entry into debian?

 I don't think he should.

 Marcelo