Re: GR Proposal 2: Declassification of -private

On 11/21/05, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:

> I do not see any reason for this GR since I cannot remember any serious
> request to make -private mails public where this action would really
> have been beneficial for the outside world.

The reasons were stated in one of the first emails of this thread.
There is important historical information hidden in the debian-private
archives.  Like the reasons why the social contract and the DFSG are
the way they are.

Many people that might not be interested in becoming Debian Developers
(like someone who's studying Debian academically) might be REALLY
interested in knowing the roots that made Debian become what it is.

Also, people in the NM queue that have to agree to the Social Contract
and the DFSG, might be interested in knowing why these documents have
the shape they have before actually agreeing to them.

I understand that the idea of this GR is not to reveal confidential
information that people are not willing to disclose, but to reveal the
information that might help non-DDs understand the history of the
project.

--
Besos,
Marga