Re: Branden's time commitments (was: Re: followup to my time-management question)

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 07:29:38PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Daniel Stone <daniel@fooishbar.org> writes:
>
> > I would argue that xfree86 could be in far better shape; X.Org 6.7.0
> > was released in April 2004, 6.8.0 in August 2004 (IIRC), and there have
> > been two point releases of 6.8.x since.  Despite the availability of
> > xorg packages, Debian is still languishing with XFree86 4.3 (release
> > date was February 2003, I believe).

[...]
> I should have noted that xfree86 is not up-to-date with upstream as
> you indicate, and I'm sorry for the oversight.

That's a bit unfair. X.Org is a fork and so it's not obvious that Debian
should switch; newer versions of XFree86 (such as 4.5.0, just released)
don't have an appropriate license for Debian.

There's also the issue of needing to get something stable to release,
rather than churning through new upstream releases.

Daniel might still be bitter that his hostile takeover of a few years
back failed.

Hamish