Re: Denied vote and the definition of a DD

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org (va, manoj)> schrieb:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:21:25 +0100, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> said:
>
>> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org (va, manoj)> wrote:
>>> b) show me, in person, two picture ID's issued by a governemt
>>> that demonstrate who you are, and match the signed the signed
>>> picture in a)
>
>> Why two ID cards?
>
> 	Because that is the criteria I use to sign keys -- and I
>  figure that the least I can do before accepting ballots from
>  potential strangers is to have them meet the same criteria that I
>  have for signing their key.

That's logical.  However, I think it's a hard requirement.  I do have a
passport right now, but if I hadn't, it would be hard for me to fulfill
it, since no one will recognize me on the picture in my driver's
license.  And anyway, the way to get a passport in Germany is to go to
the town hall of the city where you live and ask for one.  When you
first tell them you moved there, and when you are handed over the
passport, they only check the "Personalausweis".  There's no other
checking made, e.g. nobody cares for your "document of birth" or
whatever.  Therefore I don't see any use in a second ID issued by the
same government.

>> What if some german guy only has their "Personalausweis", but no
>> passport (no plans to leave the European Union, the passport is
>> quite expensive) and no drivers license?
>
> 	Gow do you suppose they come to meet me to tell me their vote?

Well, that was theoretical.  But should this procedure become accepted
"case law" within Debian, it might well be that in a couple of years (or
decades, no ideas about your plans) the secretary lives in Europe, or
India, or whatnot.

> 	Now, hilarious thought this thread has been, I think we have
>  beaten the horse dead, don't you think?

It seems it is quite dead.

Regards, Frank

--