Re: debian-women obscurity, was: Clarification about krooger's platform

also sprach Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> [2005.03.06.0242 +0100]:
> But debian-women contributors include both men and women.

Why is it called debian-women? Aren't there also men, some shy, some
merely put off by the roughness of this project, or many other
reasons, who would welcome a warmer environment?

I fully support debian-women as there is obviously demand for it.
However, I often wonder why sets of problems are solved under
a "superficial" label, when they really exist way further down the
crust?

Or: is the problem really sexism? Or is it just that the environment
is not particularly friendly to women, who have different
preferences for social interaction than men?

If so, then why not solve the problem further down (through
sensibilisation and competence to not answer every flamebait or take
things personally in such public formums), rather than segregating
the sexes explicitly?

And most of the above applies -- to varying degrees -- to other
classifications of the Debian supporters, be it language, ice cream
favourites, or cdbs-vs-debhelper preference.

`. `'`