Re: Questions for candidates: as spokesperson of Debian Project

For some reason, I don't seem to have got the first message in this
thread. I'll go looking for it now.

Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> wrote:

> * Should we act against political/legal problems as Project?

When there are issues that affect the entire project, then I think it's
right for the project to provide its opinion. For the most part, we
recognise that software patents threaten free software - but where's our
discussion of why they're wrong? Where's our position statement on what
approaches we think software authors should take towards dealing with
them? We've been lax at providing our opinions [1], and I think the
general lack of consensus on various issues has contributed a great deal
to that.

> * Will we collaborate with other groups for political/legal issue?

When it makes sense, we should certainly collaborate with other groups.
We don't agree with the FSF on every issue, but when we do we ought to
be working with them. We have a great deal of respect in the community,
and it seems worthwhile to use that to help our argument.

> * Should DPL lead us on political/legal action? (announce, speech,
>   demonstration march, post article, and so on)

I'm not sure about the idea of leading marches (in general, I've had no
great feeling that they make any significant difference), but it
certainly makes sense for the DPL to put their name to statements that
the project makes.

[1] The Microsoft sender ID license is the only one that I can think of
recently, though I may well have missed some.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org