Re: Clarification about krooger's platform

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 04:20:40PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> > But you saw no need to consult the people you named prior to including them
> > in a list of "appointees" as to whether they would be willing to be a part
> > of your little sham committee.
>
> So a committee of those people would be nothing other than a sham?
> Or are you trying to suggest that krooger hasn't learnt any lesson
> from his past interactions with them? Are you unwilling to work in
> any way with someone who you believe doesn't understand your view?

I'll work with anyone who comes at a common problem with an open mind.
Krooger's tactics thus far have disingenuous at best, and smack of an
attempt to marginalise a group of people who are working hard to fix
problems they see.

> > Consultation with stakeholders *before*
> > pushing them around might be a good step, don't you think?
>
> Can't help but agree that consultation would have been good and
> I thank you and Erinn Clark(I think) for pointing out it hadn't
> happened. Then again, the debian-women list members are very
> prejudiced in my experience and many ignore people they don't
> see as fellow travellers: would any of you have answered a
> Request For Comments or Call for Volunteers from krooger, honestly?

We'll never know now, but a simple, straightforward e-mail to me would have
received a simple, straightforward response.  Posting a hit-list in a DPL
platform and saying "these people have three months to solve the problem"
is a really good way to completely destroy any remaining good faith that may
have existed.

> Also, as we are so frequently reminded, the DPL can't push
> anyone into doing stuff, at least constitutionally.

Constitutionally, certainly.  But an ultimatum such as that issued may well
provoke people into acting against the long-term best interests of the
larger community in an attempt to avoid being seen as uncooperative in the
short term.

> > > The longest journey begins with a single step.  Not even the shortest
> > > journey begins without that single step!
> > Giving someone a shove down the stairs isn't a real winning strategy to
> > starting a journey.
>
> Depends if you put cushions or broken glass at the bottom.

I still worry about the 15 hard bumps in between.

- Matt