Re: Vote Robinson for DPL!

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:41:05PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2005 9:05 pm, MJ Ray wrote:
> As a service to mailservers everywhere I'll put up a permanent page outlining
> my complaints:
>
> http://www.eanschuessler.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SPIAccounting

[ snip ]

> Open to interpretation. The President *not* taking control of the financial
> office (at least temporarily) has certainly allowed problems to continue.

Trying once again to make something productive out of this little
discussion...

I looked at your wiki page.  The only items that look relevant going
forth are "I outlined next steps to correct procedures going forward"
and "Checks are now once again being processed by volunteers in two
assorted places with no secure storage and no professional accounting
help."

Regarding the first point, could you post a URL to these suggestions of
yours?

Regarding the second point, I agree with you that professional
accounting help should be found.  However, simply saying, "see, we're
paying someone to help!" doesn't magically make things better.  As you
know, there has been some resistance to spending money on this.  It
doesn't really take a pro to write log transactions and send things off
to a bank, either.

Regarding secure storage: what is there to store?  Checks are being sent
off for deposit almost as soon as they come in, and bank statements,
canceled checks, etc. are made available electronically.  Having an
Internet bank is, I think, a great benefit there -- and the geographical
proximity to Branden probably helps, too.

We probably have some non-treasurer things -- incorporation papers, etc
-- that should be in a safe deposit box somewhere.  I'm aware of that.
It just hasn't been at the top of the list given all the other urgent
needs we have around here.  Or are you aware of things I don't know of?

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming