Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sasrge

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:00:24AM -0500, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
>  Time Line:  Proposal and amendment Tuessday, July 13^th, 2004 -> 2004
>                Discussion Period:   Tuessday, July 13^th, 2004 -> 2004
>                  Voting Period                            2004 -> 2004
>
>  Proposal 1  Josselin Mouette [joss@debian.org]
>  Proposer:
>
>  Proposal 1   1. Christopher L Cheney [ccheney@debian.org]
>   Seconds:    2. Robert Millan [rmh@debian.org]
>               3. Xavier Roche [xavier@debian.org]
>               4. Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt [he@debian.org]
>               5. Alexander Wirt [formorer@debian.org]
>
> Proposal 1:  Force the AMD64 into Sarge and into Sid, overriding policy
>              violations.

I strenuously object to this attempt to override release engineering
decisions by vote, without having tested the viability of the port as a
candidate for sarge. The porting team evidently feel that it's ready for
unstable, and I happen to agree with them there; but I do not believe
that they have the expertise to assess its effect on testing, nor the
highly detrimental effect I expect it to have on the release timelines
that we're currently attempting to put together following the last
couple of bug-squashing parties.

I think it is extremely unwise to set a precedent of overriding
technical decisions for essentially political reasons, and I do not
think that the release management team should view this pending vote as
a blocking issue for sarge.

I would like my objections to be registered on the ballot somehow, but I
don't really have time to put together an amendment. Can anybody help
here?

[1] Note that I am not referring to the archive maintenance team.

--
Colin Watson (Release Assistant)                   [cjwatson@debian.org]