Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:50:13PM -0600, Joel Baker wrote:
>> > On a sidenote, I might well vote for a GR that directs the ftpmasters to
>> > add the amd64 architecture to sid with all achieveable speed as a technical
>> > decision overridding the (apparently de-facto) decision of the ftpmasters,
>
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:27:23PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
>> Isn't this the sort of thing the tech-ctte is for?
>
> The technical committee has already made one decision relevant to
> this thread.

You mean that the debian-amd64 has the right to choose the port name
and that the choosen name amd64 is ok?

> That said, it's not clear to me how "all possible speed" is any different
> from the current situation.  People are not focusing on solving the
> technical problems.  Instead, most of the disagreements I'm seeing are
> of the form "neener, neener, neener".

What technical problems? We are still waiting to hear them from
ftp-master. (Not counting the per arch mirrors which seems to be split
between ftp-master and mirrors).

> It's probably a good idea for the technical committee (and everyone else)
> to stay out of such disagreements as much as possible.
>
> As an illustration of what I mean, if I install debian on my amd64
> machine, and I issue the command "dpkg-source -b dpkg", I'd expect to get
> a working dpkg package out of that that I could use to build and upload
> amd64 packages.  Last time I checked, [yesterday] this was not the case.

Which won't be added to sid with any priority because amd64 is not
part of sid. Scott will slip that back in when something else warrants
an upload but there is no point in rushing it, since amd64 is not part
of sid.....

Also you can't build any amd64 packages at all _unless_ you use
debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org. And if you do, issuing the command
"apt-get source -b dpkg" (which you ment I think) will download and
build you a fully functional amd64 dpkg. Same goes for every other
amd64 package available on alioth.

MfG
        Goswin