Re: DFSG#10

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:49:22PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Dude, consensus doesn't mean "me, and the people who agree with me",
> > it means "everyone", "everyone, apart from a few people who don't really
> > mind in any case" or "everyone, apart from maybe a few crazy people".
> >From the first link I gave:

Yay, definition wars! What fun!

 A result achieved through negotiation whereby a hybrid solution is
 arrived at between parties to an issue, dispute or disagreement,
 comprising typically of concessions made by all parties, and to which
 all parties then subscribe unanimously as an acceptable resolution to
 the issue or disagreement.
   www.duhaime.org/dictionary/dict-c.htm

 Consensus decision making requires that everyone agrees with a
 decision; not just a majority as occurs in majority-rule processes. In
 consensus-based processes, people must work together to develop an
 agreement that is good enough (though not necessarily perfect) that
 all of the people at the table are willing to agree to it.
   www.colorado.edu/conflict/peace/glossary.htm

 A mutually acceptable agreement that integrates the interests of all
 concerned parties. Consensus is different from decisions reached through
 voting or an individual or body making a unilateral decision. Consensus
 does not require unanimous consent. An agreement reached through
 consensus may not satisfy each participant's interests equally or
 receive a similar level of support from all participants. Once an
 agreement is reached through consensus, all parties will be committed
 to its implementation.
   www.saskjustice.gov.sk.ca/DisputeResolution/glossary.shtml

 An agreement can be adopted by consensus rather than by a vote when
 there are no stated objections from delegations.
   unfccc.int/siteinfo/glossary.html

 The making of a decisions by general agreement and in the absence of
 any voiced objection.
   august1.com/pubs/dict/c.htm

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.