Re: DFSG#10

Hamish Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 07:54:54PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Because there is some confusion over what the actual effects of the
> > various options in GR 2004_003 are, I have undertaken an analysis.
>
> Walter, your analysis is useful but does not seem to be neutral;
>
> > Choice 1 (Postpone until Sept 1), Choice 2 (Postpone until after
> > Sarge), and Choice 4 (revert to old wording), will have no effect on
> > release policy.  The Release Manager erroneously concluded that
>                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > nonfree material could be included in a release [1].  Bruce Perens'
> > comment about the freedoms expected for everything on a Debian CD, as
> > well as the near universal agreement on debian-legal attest to the
> > clear meaning of the DFSG.
>
> An impartial analysis would be more useful I think.

I'm not going to follow arguments that are clearly erroneous.  If you
would like to pursue an analysis that supposes that the Release
Manager was acting within his purview, go ahead.  But I don't see how
it can be supported either by historical record or logic.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu