Re: DFSG#10

On Thu, 27 May 2004 07:53:38 -0400, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:49:12PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
>> For anything not in the "distribution" (e.g. the web pages), I
>> would agree.  However, I _do_ think that the social contract is
>> saying that anything in the "distribution" must be free software.

> Sure.

> But what you're showing here is that your interpretation is
> plausible.  That was never the question.

> What we have is another plausible interpretation which happens to be
> different than yours for the prior social contract.

>> > "It"?
>>
>> The distinction.

> Anthony Towns already addressed that point.  We had some agreement
> on the point, but not a consensus of debian developers.

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Consensus \Con*sen"sus\, n. [L. See {Consent}.]
     Agreement; accord; consent.
     [1913 Webster]

           That traditional consensus of society which we call
           public opinion.                          --Tylor.
     [1913 Webster]

	A 4.8:1 supermajority seems to indicate that the public
 opinion was pretty clear.

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:

  consensus
      n : agreement in the judgment or opinion reached by a group as a
          whole; "the lack of consensus reflected differences in
          theoretical positions"; "those rights and obligations are
          based on an unstated consensus"

	By the second definition, we do have a consensus. I think the
 distinction is thin, in any case.

	manoj
--
transfer, n.: A promotion you receive on the condition that you leave
town.