Re: Proposal - Statement that Sarge will follow Woody requirement for main.

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 04:35:58PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 08:27:02PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> > How about:
> >
> >  We, Debian developers, issue the statement:
> >
> >  "On the question on what software should be allowed in the main section
> >  of our archive (The official Debian distribution) for our forthcoming
> >  release code-named Sarge, we resolve that all programs must meet the
> >  DFSG, and all software must be legally distributable."
>
> Are you deliberately using both "software" and "programs", and
> do you therefore mean different things by them?

Yes. It is deliberate.

> Could you please define them?

By program I mean everything that we formerly required to be distributed
under the DFSG, and by software I mean everything that we distribute in
Debian main.

Should the statement be updated to use these definitions? Or definitions
that are better?

--
gram