In defence of my proposed constitutional amendment

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:55:41 -0500, Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net> said:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 03:57:33PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I hereby propose that we amend the constitution to add to the list
>> of foundation documents the document attached in this proposal,
>> titled "Transition Guide"

> I'm also not comfortable with adding verbose documentation for
> solutions that can be succinctly implemented.

	My intent was not just to find a way for us to allow to
 release Sarge, it was to create a guideline to help ease us through
 major changes in something like the Social contract, or the
 constitution.  The fact that a generic transition guide may help us
 also release Sarge soon is a nice side effect.

	It has been said that transitioning ought to be handled in the
 original proposal itself, and yes, that is a good idea. But foresight
 is weak, compared to hind sight, and there may be unforeseen
 consequences of a proposed change that were not evident while
 drafting the proposal.

	Nothing is perfect. I would much rather we also had a process
 defined to pick up the pieces if the before-the-fact transition plan
 blew up in our face; this is way better than relying on perfect
 foresight in transition plans.

	The other issue addressed in the proposal is one of choosing
 between two different requirements of the social contract; and how to
 balance these different requirements when some of these requirements
 are changed.

	Please help me expand the proposed new foundation document to
 provide guidelines for transition plans, and to make it generic
 enough to be generally useful in the future.

	manoj
--
It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother,
because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster. Voltaire