Counter-Proposal (was Re: Amendment to the Constitution: Add a new foundation document)

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 03:57:33PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> I hereby propose that we amend the constitution to add to the list of
> foundation documents the document attached in this proposal, titled
> "Transition Guide"

I'm also not comfortable with adding verbose documentation for solutions
that can be succinctly implemented.

The foundation documents were a good idea.  Because foundation documents
represent portions of Policy, applying specific versions of foundation
documents with specific releases of Debian is perfectly acceptable.  An
additional foundation document isn't necessary to describe this process.

Therefore, I counter propose that:

  § 5.1.4. Published version of Foundation Documents shall be formally
           associated to specific release versions of the Debian system.

Rational:

Although the Foundation Documents themselves are not technical
declarations of policy, they affect Debian in a very technical and
structural way.  This change to the constitution focuses the affects of
changes of the Foundation Documents to specific releases of the Debian
system, allowing a flexible and targetable approach to implementing new
policy.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/