Re: The new Social Contract and releasing Sarge

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:08:37AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> Dear developers,

-release isn't a discussion list. Please don't Cc it on topics like this
-- if you're looking to get someone's attention, please use Bcc instead
or send a separate mail just to that list/person.

Limited to -vote.

> It now turns out that Anthony Towns based his sarge-ignore policy on his
> reading of the Social Contract.

I'm insulted that you'd think it was anything else.

Some other mail's on this issue:

] Andrew Suffield's editorial-fixes proposal deals with the contentious
] issue of the meaning of "Software" and the limitation of section 5
] to "Programs", by clarifying that the DFSG applies to *all* works.
] This is in keeping with the original intent of the Social Contract and
] DFSG authors, and the debian-legal consenus interpretation.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01830.html
    -- Nathaniel Nerode

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01831.html
    -- my response to the above

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01846.html
    -- a mail from me discussing some of the implications of changing the
       social contract that way

If the developer body doesn't have faith that delegates are going to
abide by the social contract, I don't see why they wouldn't be calling
for their removal from any positions of responsibility. The social
contract is a core document defining how Debian is meant to operate;
it's not something we should be treating lightly.

> I therefore propose a GR which explicitely excuses Sarge from some
> issues, something that previously was already done by the Release
> Manager on his own.

I'm offended by this, too. I did not at any point excuse or attempt
to excuse anything or anyone in Debian from complying with the social
contract. That assertion is as offensive as it is untrue.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

Protect Open Source in Australia from over-reaching changes to IP law
http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/ & http://www.linux.org.au/fta/