Re: The new Social Contract and releasing Sarge

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 06:41:05PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:

> > The ballot is now quite full, once it is time for seconds (not yet, let's
> > first discuss), maybe some options will fail to get five seconds, so they are
> > dropped. If all get enough seconds, well, this is what the voting system is
> > designed to handle: a very broad spectrum of opinions, and still a good method
> > to determine the best option for everyone.

> Given that we have two GR proposal out, with seconds, it's perhaps not
> too early to second, or rather propose, some parts.

> However, I think we should not make this decision in a hurry. From a
> technical point of view, it's about whether sarge will be released
> within a couple of weeks, or a many months, so delaying the vote for a
> couple of days is not a problem at all. On the other hand, this
> discussion is about our basic principles, we should really take the time
> we need.

The period fixed by the constitution for the minimum discussion period
is two weeks.  The voting period set forth by the project secretary for
this vote (I can't find a specification for this in the constitution,
so I assume he has discretionary powers here) is also two weeks.  If we
really think we want to release sarge some time in June, four weeks is a
rather large chunk of the remaining time to be left with doubts about
the release, and that's even assuming there are *no* other amendments up
for consideration that reset the discussion period (which I don't
believe will be the case).  It's definitely not too early, IMHO, to try
to get the discussion moving and get everyone's amendments out on the
table.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek