Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:07:02PM +0200, Guido Trotter wrote:
> Since, as others have pointed out, woody from the clarified SC point of
> view is no better than sarge, delaying sarge itself to make it "perfect"
> woudn't make any justice to our users.
>
> It's quite better if we actually release sarge (which breaches the
> social contract no more than woody does) and then fix the issues and
> release sarge+1 as soon as possible SC-compliant.

I initially felt this way and tried making this argument to Anthony on
IRC, but he wasn't having any of it: as I understand it (not wishing to
put words into his mouth), he feels that making a new release knowing
that it violates the social contract is qualitatively different from
putting up with the old release that met the promises in the old
contract but not the new one. After some discussion, I have to say I was
convinced.

Ultimately, it's the release manager who gets most say in this one.