Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

I have just plowed through a large wad of messages on this thread, and the only thing I have to say is that every everything I have read is self justification or off topic crap.

In principle I agree with Craig. The arguments over non-free are just plain stupid.

There is no contradiction between declaring Debian to be totally about Free Software, and the maintaining of a section called non-free. The non-free packages are examples of software that fails to meet our definition of free, which the rest of the world considers "free enough". The fact that we can "legally" distribute this code makes that distribution completely "OK" by the rest of the software community not committed to software freedom as Debian defines it.

We provide examples of the right way to build Debian packages in many different places, although I find the existing code base to be full of both good and bad examples, our documentation is mostly self consistant.

Negative examples tend to improve our understanding faster than positive ones. Being able to point to packages with "poor" licensing conditions has always been helpful when trying to determine what is wrong with some other license.

In any case, as one who was here before during and after the the adoption of the Social Contract and Debian Free Software Guidelines, I view these documents as the definition of what Debian is and what it stands for, and I find all attempts to modify these documents as attempts to modify Debian.

I don't have much time to devote to Debian these days, but that doesn't mean that I don't still find it very important.

The Contract and Guidelines were written specifically to block political modification of the goals and principles of Debian. If Debian is to survive, this attempt to modify our principles must fail.

My advice is Less Crap and More Code!

Waiting is,

Dwarf