Re: still more questions for the candidates

* Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> [2004-03-12 00:24]:
> 	I see. As a tech ctte member, I would be interested in knowing
>  how I contribute to this state of "mostly not working". Are we all at
>  fault? Some of us are? Which ones? What can be done to address this
>  issue?

As I pointed out in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/msg00093.html
 | Having
 | people on the Technical Committee who don't have a single package in
 | the archive or whose packages have been orphaned because they were not
 | maintained is simply not how it should be!

Guy Maor has not maintained a package for ages or done anything else
for the project I'm aware of.

Raul Miller's @debian.org email address bounced for ages, it was
pointed out to him but he didn't fix it; at the same time, he was
posting to -vote and other lists.  However, he did not maintain his
packages at all, which lead to them being orphaned.

Ian Jackson (chairman) has a package in the archive with a
Standards-Version of 2.1.1.0; this and some other evidence suggests
that he is not up to date with current Debian practices and
procedures.  He is also not as involved in the development process as
he used to be.

I think that members of the Technical Committee should be examples
other people can follow, but I don't think that every current member
is like that (However, I'm not saying that all members aren't like
this).  I think it's good to be conservative of who to admit to the
Technical Committee, but when the policy is so conservative that many
members used to be active and good examples years ago but no longer
are, then something's wrong imho.

> 	What would you, as a DPL, do to ameliorate teh situation? (The
>  other DPL candidates should feel free to jump in)

I have not come up with a good solution yet, otherwise I'd have
proposed it already.  Perhaps some rotating scheme of who is part of
the Technical Committee might be a good idea.  See my reply to Raul.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com