Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:46:42AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> > > If i am stopped from maintaining the driver for the ADSL modem that
> > > provides me access to the internet, and thus enables me to do my debian
> > > work, will you step in and pay me (and others who use the same modem) a
> > > new adsl modem that is supported by non-free software.
> >
> > How could the removal of non-free stop you from maintaining the
> > driver?
>
> No more BTS ? no more download area.

Why shouldn't there be a bugs.nonfree.org?  Cloning the Debian BTS requires
work and copying the non-free bugs over as well, and you'd lose the ability
to reassign bugs from and to free packages to and from non-free packages
but since the archives would be separated anyway, I don't consider this as
a big problem.

The download area would probably be ftp.nonfree.org, I guess.  I don't
think that you as developer would lose access to it and I also don't
believe that users would lose the ability to download non-free packages.
There may be a problem during the transition, of course.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto