Re: Questions for candidates -- Debian's Organizational Structure

* Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> [2004-03-04 06:47]:
> > I wonder why reviving the CTTE has to wait until you become the
> > project leader.

> The Debian Project Leader is empowered by clause 5.1.6 of the Debian
> Constitution[2] to seat and remove members of the Technical
> Committee.

>   The Project Leader may:
> [...]
>   Together with the Technical Committee, appoint new members to the
>   Committee. (See §6.2.)
>
> I cannot exercise this power unless I am elected.

Your attitude seems to suggest that nothing in the project can be
achieved without explicit authority given by the constitution.  This
is in contrast to how I perceive how the project works.  I see that
much authority is gained through work; for example, I started looking
for inactive maintainers on my own, without the backing of the
constitution or the DPL, and now I am perceived as the authority in
this area.  There are many other examples.

In the specific case of the Technical Committee, you could have:
  - raised your concerns on -devel or the -tech-ctte mailing list
  - raised your concerns with the DPL
  - started a GR
and possibly others.

While you cannot exercise the power of clause 5.1.6 without being DPL,
there seem to be other ways to approach this problem.
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com