Re: "keep non-free" proposal

Em Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:43:05 -0500, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> escreveu:

> > >[A] Software which Debian distributes which is completely free will
> > >remain completely free.
>
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:24:00PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > This interpretation is a no-op.  Read it again: it doesn't commit
> > Debian to do ANYTHING.  At least, not anything in Debian's power.
> > If Debian distributed NO completely free software, Debian would satisfy
> > this interpretation!
>
> I don't see how.
>
> Ok, if Debian stopped distributing anything at all, that might work,
> but as long as Debian is distributing software that has in the past been
> free, this commits debian to distributing free versions of that software.

But if Debian simply stops distributing all of the free software it does
distribute now and starts distributing windows, that's ok. It has never
been 'free' after all. Or, to be more realistic, if any of our developers would
release a non-free kernel that is distributable, we would be able to
distribute it, as it has never been free too.

That's what I would like to avoid.

What we must say is that we promise to do only distribute free software.

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian:  <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>