Re: Proposal: Keep non-free

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:17:56PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> The encouragement resulting from increased demand for a free
> alternative.

How do you measure "increased demand"?

Is demand "one person demanding", or demand it somehow related to the
number of people involved?  Or maybe "demand" equates to something like
"amount of discussion on debian-user"?

Or is this "increased demand" simply something you are asserting, and
not something which is measurable?

> > However, I hope you're not advocating that "Debian should only be used
> > to develop software which will then be distributed through Debian"
> > is a rule that everyone should live by.
>
> Nearly. The Debian project should only be used to develop software
> which could then be distributed as part of the Debian operating
> system.

If that's your personal ideal, fine.

However, if any software had that as a condition of distribution, that
software could only be distributed in non-free.

--
Raul