Re: A transition plan to fsf-linux.org

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:10:43PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:08:43PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > >
> > > Nope, only when a free alternative for all of its content has been
> > > written.
> >
> > All of its content right now?  Is there some freeze on adding new
> > packages to non-free I hadn't heard about?  If so, that's odd, because
> > an ITP of a non-free package has been made on debian-devel within the
> > past few days.
>
> Sure, but hopefully there will be no more non-free software in some
> point of the future :))

Is that more or less likely to happen in the absence of a disincentive
to produce it?

*Would* dropping non-free serve as a disincentive to produce non-free
software?  Before making up one's mind, it might be worth considering
the opinions of Ken Lunde of Adobe Systems Inc., when a (very polite)
relicensing request was made of that company[1].

It would appear that at least in some cases, the retention of the
non-free section serves as an incentive to preserve the non-free
licensing of a work.

It is scenarios like this that make me question the prediction that all
non-free software will just wither away if only we leave it alone.
Where "leaving it alone" means continuing to endorse it by providing it
on our mirror network, that is.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/debian-legal-200401/msg00235.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I