Re: Comparison of Raul Miller/20040119-13 and Andrew Suffield/GR Editorial

On Jan 23, 2004, at 12:06, Sven Luther wrote:

Huh ? Isn't the DFSG such written that no restriction on further
distribution it placed. By guarantying that all software in main is
compliant with the DFSG, we thus guarantee that it is also distributable
without restriction (and more). If this was not the case, then the
software should be removed from main.

We don't guarantee that. We make our best effort, but make no guarantee.

If we guaranteed that, and it turned out we made a mistake, missed a patent, etc., then we would be sued.

Looking up the word:
   1. Something that assures a particular outcome or condition:
      Lack of interest is a guarantee of failure.
   2.
         1. A promise or an assurance, especially one given in
            writing, that attests to the quality or durability
            of a product or service.
         2. A pledge that something will be performed in a
            specified manner.
   3.
         1. A guaranty by which one person assumes responsibility
            for paying another's debts or fulfilling another's
            responsibilities.
         2. A guaranty for the execution, completion, or existence
            of something.
   4. A guarantor.

I think 2.1 applies, and I think that would create substantial potential liability for Debian.

PS: I'm on debian-vote, no need to cc me.