Re: Comparison of Raul Miller/20040119-13 and Andrew Suffield/GR Editorial

On Jan 22, 2004, at 13:39, Raul Miller wrote:

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:30:07PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
Also, checking the dictionary shows Internet is too, but that it is
only a noun. So, the most correct may be "Internet-connected"

I don't like that -- it seems to make the sentence less pertinent.

Here's someone else's opinion on the capitalization issue.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/ cmosfaq.InternetWebandOtherPost-WatergateConcerns.html

where, to summarize, they say that capitalized it means the ARPANet descendent, and uncapitalized it "refer[s] simply to any network of computers." I think you mean Debian's archive on the capital-I Internet, then.

[Personally, I don't think much of "Internet-connected" either. But it is unarguably correct.]

Yes.  Guaranteeing the distributability of software in main is one of
the major points our guidelines address.

I was always under the impression that people distributing main did so
at their own risk, not ours, though we make our best effort.

My proposal does not provide that kind of guarantee.  It's the absence
of an explicit non-guarantee of distributability, not the presence of
an explicit guarantee of distributability.

It doesn't, but it seems to imply it to someone who is not so familiar with what we do. I wouldn't use the word "guarantee" where you have.

	we do not guarantee all software in the non-free
	area may be distributed in other ways.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to mention our lack of guarantee for non-free when, indeed, the following is true, too:

	we do not guarantee all software in the main
	area may be distributed in other ways.

If you compare this to Andrew's (which is similar, if not the same as, the current SC):

	We encourage CD manufacturers to read the licenses
	of the packages in these areas and determine if
	they can distribute the packages on their CDs.

His wording has no chance of implying a guarantee on main. Though it does need to be fixed, IMO, because "CD manufacturers" is very limiting.

I don't think I'll be capitalizing it as "Free Software community",
because that would seem to imply that there is some specific community
which we're making our priority, rather than some more general sense of
the term.

Odd. That's what I took "Free Software Community" to mean, as if there were some Free Software Cabal (TINC). So, I'd suggest my first choice of "free software community", then.