Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

On 2004-01-21 16:21:57 +0000 Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:07:53PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
The grammatical changes seem orthogonal.
I disagree: if Andrew's grammatical changes proposal passes, it would
wipe out a number of the changes I'm proposing.

Then your amendment should be to that proposal rather than the remove non-free GR, surely?

Also, we should probably update the DFSG to indicate that they are
"Debian's Free Software Requirements", rather than merely being
guidelines. This would also require updating the social contract and
the constitution.

This seems unneccessary. We require all software in main to meet the guidelines, but they are not a closed list that people may seek loopholes in.

We currently do not require that everything go in main.

There is no other way for something to be part of the debian distribution. Regardless, the point that DFSG are not a closed list stands.

Finally, note that software currently in main which does not satisfy
all of our guidelines will get dropped -- there will be no "fallback
position". In particular, I'm thinking of GFDL licensed > documentation, but I can't guarantee that that's all.
This is not a change. Documentation under the current GFDL does not meet DFSG and must be removed from debian. The location where it goes to does not seem to have direct relevance to producing a free software operating system.
"GFDL licensed docs removed from Debian" really means "GFDL licensed
docs removed from Debian's main dist".

"GFDL removed from Debian" doesn't mean, for example, that Debian
developers should ignore GFDL licensed docs.

Indeed it does not. I think it means we should work to free or replace them.

I've tried to capture our current practice in this proposal -- few > changes should be necessary. [...]
This tries to change our current practice in some ways, such as claiming non-free meets some DFSG.
That's a claim, not a practice.

So why is it in there?

If my proposal were changing existing practice, there would be packages
in non-free which that claim would require be removed.

To my knowledge there are no such packages.

At present. Maybe someone can present a pathological case.

I think you have misrepresented it.

Feel free to identify the packages which I would remove from non-free.

I don't think there are any.

I was referring to your assertion that the amendment reflects current practice.

Despite a request that you describe the changes, you have reposted many subtle variations on it without even a changelog.

Each proposal has indicated the changes from the previous version.

The linked version did not seem to. I am equally interested in what it changes from the current version.

You're the first person [just now] to ask for a changelog -- and, frankly,

I asked you to do so on 11th January. You agreed there, but do not seem to have acted upon it.

I don't see that it's all that significant. If you really want to know
what changes happened in any previous draft, all the draft's are still
available and all the drafts have notes on what changes were made in them.

Yes, we can all repeat work which it would be easier for you to do at source. I would rather spend that time elsewhere.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at