Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

    MJ> There is no other way for something to be part of the debian
    MJ> distribution. Regardless, the point that DFSG are not a closed
    MJ> list stands.

It's not clear to me how true the claim that the DFSG are not a closed
set of requirements is.  That's certainly the assertion of
debian-legal.  ANd as a reader and infrequent contributer to that
list, I think there have been some fairly arbitrary decisions made by
that community.

I don't think we'll actually know how closed a set of requirements the
DFSG is until we are faced with a major challenge of the current
process--a case in which a significant minority believes the current
process has broken.  We've had such minorities--the LaTex project, the
APSL folks, and one other.  But they never pursued any sort of
challenge to the consensus of debian-legal in a procedurally valid
manner.

As such all we have right now is a claim by a lot of people that the
DFSG is open.  In practice that currently means the DFSG is in fact
open.  I suspect it will remain so until and unless some particularly
arbitrary decision causes us to question the process.

--Sam