Re: summary of software licenses in non-free

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:23:09PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-01-13 12:35:58 +0000 Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:22:04AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> >>So what were you calling a major PITA to our users, then?
> >Lots of it. Dealing with a new archive. Dealing with a different
> >BTS. etc. Especially since it's all con and no pro for those users.
>
> New archive is a one-time edit to sources.list, dealing with a
> different BTS seems to require little user effort (Bugs header,
> reportbug files), etc.

The question is: Would we want APT-frontends to cast out warnings like
'WARNING: You still have ftp.debian.org[...] non-free in your
sources.list. Please update your entry to point to ftp.nonfree.org'?
Would the maintainers even accept it? I believe we could go a long way
to ease the transition for users by tuning our package tools (*apt*,
reportbug come to mind) a bit. That would need some cooperation with
the maintainers, though.

Michael