Re: non-free and users?

Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
Raul Miller wrote:

Dropping non-free would prevent Debian developers from distributing any
non-free packages (such as GFDL).

No it wouldn't. Nothing would prevent a developer from joining the
nonfree.org project, etc.

Brushing your teeth prevents tooth decay.  That doesn't mean
that you'll never get cavities if you brush your teeth.

Good car care prevents water and air pollution.  That
doesn't that there will be no water and air pollution
[not even from that car].

:) O.K. the word 'prevent' have at least three meanings.

But this another meaning doesn't make non-distribution non-ethical.

Using this meaning we can say: dropping non-free would prevent Debian developers from distributing any non free packages throw the Debian. And we can also say: dropping non-free would prevent distributing non-free all over the world.

Of course, we could say:

but it is not complete.

The quantity of non-free software in the world is not reduced. Users still can get it somewhere else. Debian does not destroy useful non-free software. Debain stops to spend working time and other resources for it distribution because he want to act ethical all the time.
--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov