Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 09:41:55PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Maybe what needs to be done is draw a line *within* non-free,
> and eliminate some of the more objectionable material.  For example,
> perhaps, we should stop distributing material which can't be distributed
> to all users.

I should clarify that:  I'm talking about non-commercial use licenses.

As near as I can tell, from reading 17 USC,

[a] a non-commercial use clause in a copyright is an invalid clause, or

[b] it's a clause which restricts distribution, not use.

Once you have a legal copy of a piece of software you're allowed to do
anything you want with it except make more copies and redistribute them.
But a judge might possibly interepret distribution of software with a
non-commercial use clause to a commercial institution as a violation of
the copyright.

Anyways, someone objected to that kind of software on the grounds that
it was discriminatory, and so I picked it as an example of something we
maybe shouldn't be distributing.

[And, I picked stuff licensed under RMS's GFDL as an example of something
we maybe should be distributing.]

--
Raul