Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 06:29:17PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Amending the social contract by itself is not, in my opinion,
>  good enough, since a promise than can be retracted at a whimsy is
>  worth little.

It is your contention, then, that our Standard Resolution Procedure as
exercised by the Developers to "issue, supersede and withdraw
nontechnical policy documents and statements" is nothing more than an
indulgence of whimsy?

Even when such whimsies require a supermajority to enact?

What value are the high barriers to amendment of the Social Contract if
"whimsical" alterations can easily clear them?

Conversely, what have we to fear from "whimsical" alterations if it's
all but impossible to pass them?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The basic test of freedom is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    perhaps less in what we are free to