Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:31:01AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	If you are referring to angband and tome, and this is your
>  level of understanding about replacements, I must confess the
>  proposal  is less appealing by the moment. This is like sayting that
>  we already had a file transfer mechanism in uuco, and thus uucp is a
>  replacement for http and every other file tranfer protocol that has
>  been subsequently invented.
>
> 	Your viewpoint would be better sereved if you did not press
>  your case to the stretching point, where you did not give the
>  impression that things that are not true replacements shall be
>  trumpeted as replacements just to get rid of the non-fre srtucture,
>  whether or not the users of the non-free programs are ill served or
>  not. At the very least, this is dishonest.

Okay, so you've called me ignorant and dishonest.  This promotes an
atmosphere of conviviality how, Mr. Secretary?  :)

For what it's worth (probably not much to you, given the tone of your
replies to my contributions to this discussion), I don't personally see
the existence of replacements in main for software in non-free as
bearing on the question of dropping non-free.  I feel this way mainly
because the meaning of "replacement" is highly subjective, and bound to
change from work to work.  It is also because I dislike arguments which
use concepts like "necessary evil"; I don't think it buys us much to
devalue non-free software on some principle, and then turn right around
and say "but this is particular devalued thing is so important that
we'll give it a pass".

But, as you've diligently endeavored to make clear with your replies to
my messages, my opinions are likely shared by no one else.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      There's no trick to being a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      humorist when you have the whole