Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 00:09:44 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:40:03PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 02:29:41PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
>> > That is somewhat uncomfortable; and besides, non-free is there
>> > for convenience until we have a completely free operating system.
>>
>> Yep, and non-free packages can be removed once they have a free
>> replacement.

> There are already things in non-free that have free replacements.
> Nethack is free, and yet that doesn't stop us from shipping all
> sorts of other Rogue-style games in non-free.

	If you are referring to angband and tome, and this is your
 level of understanding about replacements, I must confess the
 proposal  is less appealing by the moment. This is like sayting that
 we already had a file transfer mechanism in uuco, and thus uucp is a
 replacement for http and every other file tranfer protocol that has
 been subsequently invented.

	Your viewpoint would be better sereved if you did not press
 your case to the stretching point, where you did not give the
 impression that things that are not true replacements shall be
 trumpeted as replacements just to get rid of the non-fre srtucture,
 whether or not the users of the non-free programs are ill served or
 not. At the very least, this is dishonest.

	manoj
--
If you took all the students that felt asleep in class and laid them
end to end, they'd be a lot more comfortable. "Graffiti in the Big