Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:57:08AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:11:40 +0000, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:
>
> > I'm not going to respond to that, other than to point out that it is
> > based on the assumption that non-free is important and useful.
>
> 	Someone thought it important enough to sp[end time tracking
>  down the sources, packaging it to follow Debian policy, and follow
>  and fix bug reports.

It is not the case that all those things are true for everything in
non-free. It's not even true for everything in main.

[No, I'm not going to try to demonstrate anything further than that -
merely that there is reasonable justification for dissent from your
personal opinion. I will however point out that if non-free contained
only angband and tome, I would say we should dump it.]

> 	Yes, I think that not only free programs have cornered the
>  market for being useful and important (unless you are a zealot, when
>  this is all moot anyway).

Y'see, that's the reason why I'm trying to avoid this part of the
discussion. You have implied I meant something other than what I said,
and thrown in an assertion that anybody who does not agree with you is
a "zealot" (which may be technically correct [One who holds a strong
opinion which you do not entertain], but which you imply has negative
connotations [which is a pretty narrow reading of the dictionary]).

It's exactly like trying to discuss a security hole with an upstream
author who calls you a "hacker" all the time (in every respect I can
think of).

> >> If you are unwilling to discuss issues, how can other nascent
> >> opinions develop?
>
> > I don't believe that it is necessary for people to talk to *me*
> > before they can form opinions about things.
>
> 	So butt out.

I've been trying to do exactly that, for the subthreads that go down
those lines. You may wish to review your own mails to which I was
replying (which were mostly filled with inaccurate assertions about my
personal motivation and intent, rather than any kind of discussion of
the issues).

> >> I like to keep my promise, is all. I am not implying, though, that
> >> other people share my opinion, or that they should; nor am I
> >> implying that people who want to get rid of non-free software are
> >> breaking their promise.  This is a subjective issue, and I am
> >> stating my take on it.
>
> shrug> Clauses 1 and 5 of the social contract are in conflict
> > anyway. I'm not greatly concerned by moving the line.
>
> 	No. They are only in conflict if you have a black and white
>  world view.

Uhh. What? They are clearly in conflict. It is merely the case that
this conflict is resolvable, by picking a point somewhere between the
two. The SC is *full* of these kind of conflicts; it does not take a
hard line on very many things at all.

>  And, despite not believing in absolutes, I still do not
>  like moving the line on a whimsy, without even discussiong an
>  amelioration of the imact on the users.

Another random assertion about motivations and intent. I'm not going
to respond other than to point that out.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |