Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On 2004-01-07 08:21:50 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:02:40PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
Asking for it is a start, but maybe this should be done more visibly than an email to debian-vote. There may be other things you can do to help this, too.

Ok, where ?

I'm not sure and I'm reluctant to spend time on research for this, when I have so much that I need to work on. I'm just sure that debian-vote isn't the best place. Look at what any similar projects have done. Are any free software drivers for other ADSL modems available? Would they carry an appeal from you? Do they have useful suggestions?

Discussing it with upstream was a very good idea and it seems that you did it well. I think it sometimes works, but it doesn't sound like it will very soon for this software.

Ok, what i have in mind, is a place, for each individual package in
non-free, where would be listed the reasons why the package is non-free,
and also what could be done and has been done to make it more free.

I've tried to make this some sort of outline. Can someone fill in the missing parts here, please? Does someone else want to take charge of this?

* "Why this is non-free" PTS links:
** Ask owner@packages.qa.debian.org for advice (which is what the front page suggests):
*** Is this best done by news items? static or normal?
** Ask others to help catalogue past discussions
*** Post summaries periodically

* "How to make a free" discussions:
** alioth project?
** advocates?