Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On 2004-01-07 00:05:49 +0000 Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[...] As Craig said, the act of putting
a package into non-free has, in and of itself, sometimes led to licence
changes.

Can you give a reference for that, or are you making up Craig's views? He seems to get quite upset about that. As far as I can tell, he only ack'd that they were fixed "in part" due to being moved to non-free. I doubt that the mere presence in non-free does much "in and of itself" and the dialogue with the upstream and others is more important.

b.) Potentially, merge contrib into main: the packages within contrib are, by their nature, DFSG free but may need non-DFSG software to build, for example.

Only things which can work without non-free should do this, IMO. I think that's the current situation, based on what people have written to me this week.

c.) Document that fact in the relevant package descriptions. Don't "recommend" non-DFSG in apt/deselect - which removes one of rms's problems -

Are you sure? I think that he considers our "support" for it more of a problem than the control fields.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at