Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> writes:
> helping to prevent the problems from being solved? Already, someone
> has mentioned some Java packages that I think could be in Debian but
> aren't. Is that because contrib is an easy enough home for them? If

Concerning base Java software (Ant, servlet container, maybe Eclipse)
the effort to "port" these to run on Kaffe is being done already.
Removing contrib might or might not help this effort. After they are
in main I personally would be far less opposed to removing contrib (I
didn't see anything else really important (IMO) there - the Java
libraries would move to main in some schedule).

> Secondly, I read this whole message, but didn't see a direct hook to a
> particular vote. Wouldn't it be better on -project or another more
> general list?

There is no vote yet, "just" a proposed resolution which is being
discussed.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *