Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:50:56PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Perhaps. I think you're underestimating the problems though -- most
> external apt sources don't bother with most of our infrastructure; they
> don't bother validating uploads (since only one person can upload), they
> don't have good mirroring or mailing lists, they tend not to have BTSes,
> they tend not to have any special security support, they tend not to have
> a process for letting independent people add software to their archive
> (ie, new-maintainers). Mostly this isn't a problem, because the software
> they're maintaining is intended to get into the Debian archive sooner
> or later, and doesn't really need it's own long term support structure.

We don't provide security support for non-free, to my knowledge.

I believe most (if not all) of the other issues could be solved by
running an Alioth-like service. Somebody would have to step forward to
admin it, but the individual cost for all of the other maintainers would
be fairly small.

I proposed that several times on this list, but never got a feedback. Is
this so far off? Or so clear without ambiguity?

Michael