Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:46:08AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 02:34:44PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > I guess the point was that GNOME managed to use debbugs for them, so why
> > shouldn't the prospective non-free-.debs-project do that, too?
>
> Ah... in the context of that point, it's probably worth pointing out
> that gnome is an effort many orders of magnitude more complex than what
> debian does for "non-free".

Yes, indeed.

> In other words: what is a minor effort in the context of gnome is not
> likely to be so minor in the context of "non-free".
>
> Aside from the shere size and complexity of gnome: gnome is a development
> effort, while "non-free" is not.

I agree.

But in a sub-thread I proposed that somebody could setup a
gforge-repository for the non-free packages. That way, people had
bug-tracking, mailing-lists, and file-uploads at their fingertips, with
relatively small administrative overhead (uhm, not sure about that last
bit, we'd have to ask the alioth admins). It wouldn't be the same as
before, but it might work.

Michael