Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Jan 3, 2004, at 23:03, Andrew Suffield wrote:

As a matter of form, please keep rationale out of the body of
resolutions - otherwise you raise a quandry for people who agree with
the resolution but disagree with the rationale.

Ah. Understood. Will do so in the future.

I encourage anyone who wants to propose my suggestion to do so as well.

Possibly, people would like to be able to plan ahead and have some time
to replace Debian's infrastructure with, say, a non-free.org.

Does this really require about two or three years of planning?

I don't know. However, I personally hope that we can get sarge out soon --- in a few months, as you mentioned --- and that probably isn't enough time to have infrastructure ready to support non-free in sarge.

Just look how long it is taking to repair after the security breach, and I think debian-admin and ftpmasters have a long head start on a hypothetical non-free.org.

More to the point, I think these sort of decisions are difficult to
make for N years in the future, because you don't really know what the
situation will be by then. Certainly non-free is less important now
than it was when it was first created, and that is a large part of the
reason why we're having this discussion.

The suggestion I made only moves the decision out a few months, not years. Non-free will be dropped from sid (and maybe testing) the day sarge is released. The benefit of that is that we give users of our stable distribution much notice that they have to either migrate away from non-free software, or set up non-free.org.